The products are medical devices used for patient positioning and immobilisation in radiation therapy. The product can be used for both simulation and treatment, including MRI simulation.
The bite block is available in a version with and without tongue depressor. The bite block without tongue depressor has a flat shape and the bite block with tongue depressor has a round shape containing a small block that is pushing down the tongue, away from the treatment field.
Each Efficast® thermoplastic mask can be moulded over the bite block. Both bite blocks have an airway opening that protrudes a hole in the mask for easy patient breathing. The outer contours of the bite blocks are visible in the mask making it a reproducible solution for increased patient immobilisation during head & neck treatments.
BiteFix offers a simple, one-size-fits-all solution to reduce pitch movement. The airway and mask opening ensures comfortable breathing.
Oral devices are used during the irradiation of head and neck tumors for several reasons. In some cases they may only be needed to create a stable spacing between the maxilla and mandibula, but usually we are also aiming for a more caudal position of the tongue to limit the dose on the back of the tongue (e.g. when irradiating maxillary or nasal tumors). It is important to ensure a correct repositioning of the device each time.
In that aspect, BiteFix, the Orfit bite block, offers many advantages because of several elements:
- The lateral indentations ensure that the patient can easily handle and insert the mouthpiece themselves.
- Thanks to the dental grooves, there is always a firm depth placement.
- The part that is protruding the mouth is sufficiently large so that it can be fixed within the immobilization mask
- The central air opening ensures that breathing is not compromised.
- The BifeFix comes in two designs; a flat or round shape, depending on the need for additional fixation or extra spacing.
- The material is radio-opaque, not compromising image quality.
- Finally, thorough cleaning is possible, which contributes to better hygiene in case of radiation toxicities like mucositis, ulcerations, etc.